Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Plate That Never Goes Away

A couple of weeks ago, our neighbor delivered some yummy arabic dessert to us.  We were very grateful and, culturally,  I knew that I couldn't return my neighbor's plate empty.  One thing we learned before we came here was that in this culture, if someone brings you food on a plate or in tupperware or something, you are supposed to return the dish with more food.  So, a few days after our neighbor shared her dessert with us, it was Valentine's Day and I was making some cookies and chocolate covered strawberries for us and some friends who were coming over.  I made some extra, piled them on the neighbor's plate and took them down to her after our friends left that evening.  She was very appreciative and surprised to know it was Valentine's Day.  We visited for a while and I headed back upstairs.  Then, an hour later, the plate was back.  This time, piled high and neatly arranged with fruit - bananas, oranges and dates!   So now my question is, what do I do next?  Will this go on forever?  Every day or two we just pass the plate back and forth with bigger and better displays of food?  I think I'm going to ask around to see how exactly I need to handle this situation.  
 

2 comments:

D-Ram said...

From the looks of the bananas she is just trying to get rid of some old fruit. You should give the plate back with leftovers on it and I think that would do the trick. Just kidding. Pretty funny story. Love you guys-talk soon.

D & K

Zach and Amanda said...

If this keeps going, you could potentially start putting requests under your gift.

Great story...I love it!