Friday, November 6, 2009

The good, the bad, and yes, sometimes a little ugly....

....of living in a non-insulated concrete block apartment.

I'm a positive person, so I'll start with the good. Of course, I had to think about it a little while. Oh, yes, there is some good. During the winter, when I'm baking, I don't have to wait very long at all for the food to cool after taking it out of the oven. And you can leave food out for a lot longer before it goes bad. Hmmm, what else? OK, when it's 70 degrees outside, but only 50 degrees or so inside, it forces us to open up all of our windows which then allows us to hear our cute neighbor kid singing and trying to play a guitar.

So then there's the bad. Brrrr! You must wear socks and slippers at all times in the winter (cold floors). When getting ready to go out, we sometimes bundle up quite a bit, only to realize once we are outside that it's not really that cold at all, it's just our apartment. When it rains, we get nice little leaks through the walls and the ceiling, which, if not dried out, leads to some serious mold.

There's really only one thing I can think of that makes it on the ugly list......freezing cold toilet seats. I think that says it all. Yikes.

We really do love our apartment and are so thankful for it! AND, we have lovely new heaters for the winter that really make a difference. So this year, maybe we won't have to see our breath in the air while cooking over the stove!

3 comments:

Davisfamily said...

Sounds a lot like Wyoming.... :-)

Davisfamily said...

Sounds a lot like Wyoming... :-)

kym brinkley said...

I feel your pain. if it helps, I miss the cold. it is so stinkin' "hot" it is hard to sleep here sometimes here for me with heat and insulation.
I miss you, sweet pal! just this morning, I was overwhelmed with thanks for you! :)