1. The local university, University of Jordan, is rather large with over 40,000 students. Of those students, about 70% are female. Classes are taught in English and Arabic. There is only one dormitory.
2. In the summer months, the city almost doubles in size. Locals who live and work in the gulf countries come back to this "cooler" area for the summer to stay with family. This means that the traffic doubles, as these visitors will drive their cars through the desert from Saudi and other places. It also means that more people are out and about and the chance of getting a taxi becomes slimmer and slimmer.
3. We get a firework show every week. Forget the once a year 4th of July display, fireworks are abundant in our neighborhood. People will shoot them off for weddings, engagements, and who knows what else. All we know is that we get a show weekly if not twice a week. We just have to look out our window to watch the sky light up with fireworks that we sometimes pretend are just for us.
4. Where we originally just had the propane truck coming by playing music through the neighborhoods, we now have the propane truck, the watermelon truck, the 'collecting junk' truck, and a few others I haven't spotted yet. But I've heard them. They either have a song playing over and over on a loud speaker, or they have a recording of some guy yelling something over and over. I think even if I knew what they were yelling, it would still be annoying to hear 10 times a day.
1 comment:
I see so many similarities as we travel life 'together'. Wish I could hope on the plane and join our friends in August!
Post a Comment