This August has been a very unusual month concerning weather. Normally, in the summer months here (July, August, September - and even October) the weather is pretty predictable. It's always hot, sunny, hotter, or sunnier.
This August, the weather has been so pleasant, I'm not sure people know what to think of it. One thing they do, though, is worry. I'm not sure what it is with cool weather or air conditioning around here, but people are scared of it. It seems like anytime the air is too cold, people start to get sick and blame it on the weather. They don't like to drink really cold water because they think it will make them sick. When we go to the gym and it's a nice day outside, the other women scoff at me if I try to open a window or two to get some air. It's too cold! Not good for the body! I tend to think overheating on the treadmill is worse. And if you have a baby who is not wrapped in 5 or 6 blankets when outside in the middle of the summer, you are a horrible parent! Wow, you'd think with all the fear of the cold, they would try putting insulation in houses.
What's crazier, this week we had some clouds in the sky - gray clouds. The last time it rained in the summer here was in the late 1980's and I was told that people thought the world was coming to an end. We didn't actually get any rain this month, but the weather forecast showed a chance of it. I would have liked to see the local's reactions to rain in August. Maybe we'll get some yet. I'll be sure to do some 'man-on-the-street' interviews if we do.

No comments:
Post a Comment