Thursday, January 1, 2009

Excuse me, Sir?

Daniel almost got kicked out of the mall food court the other day.   He had already gotten his pizza and I was in line for something else.  When he sat down at a table to wait for me, a mall security guy came up to him and told him he had to leave.  He told him that he was in the wrong section, the family section.  Yes, that's right, the mall has separate places for families to eat.  The other section is for single men only.  Luckily I came back to the table and joined Daniel fast enough to appease the security guard.

In most restaurants there is also a section for single men (downstairs) and for families (upstairs).   This same thing happens in the homes as well.  In most homes there is a front room, dining area and bathroom that is used as the reception area.  This is the area where men who are not family can visit, have tea, eat dinner, etc.  Men who are not family usually never go past this reception area of the home.  Women who visit are more likely to come back and see the rest of the home and when mixed company is visiting (especially mixed company that is not related) the women will most likely hang out in the kitchen or the family/living area while the men are hanging out in the reception area.  

We are working hard to finish our reception area so we can have visitors over.  But I guess that means we also need to learn how to make tea the proper way.  Oh, and buy some proper tea glasses and serving trays.  OK, it might be a while before we start entertaining...properly at least.  

3 comments:

kym brinkley said...

tea...ahhhh...love it. welcome to my world. tea all day long.

kate said...

oh my..that is just a completely different way of life. But I know you will do great at entertaining and figuring out the lingo and 'rules'.

great prego santa suit. I would die if I had to buy cool whip at that price. That is just crazy!

Daniel, Laura and Noah said...

Seriously, what am I going to buy instead of coolwhip? i didn't see any local brands for that.....sad.