Monday, December 22, 2008

Inshallah

The phrase 'inshallah' is used frequently here.  We hear it several times a day.  It means, 'if God wills', hence leaving the future, be it short term or long, up to God.  

We hear it most commonly in conversations where people are planning to do something together, for example:  "Let's have coffee tomorrow, inshallah".  

We hear it when talking about health, marriage, or family:  "He will find a good wife and have lots of healthy baby boys, inshallah".

We hear it when we talk to the people delivering furniture or appliances:  "We will bring it tomorrow between 10 and 8, inshallah".

You can even hear it from the taxi driver when you ask him to take the next left and he replies:  "Inshallah".

1 comment:

clarkfam said...

Hey....Hey....Hey! I tried to call today when I got your message. We were actually in Christmas eve service when I missed you. I would LOVE to talk to you tomorrow on Christmas if can. We will be around all day. If you can email me your number again and I will try...for some reason it wasn't working - Merry Christmas! and I put new pics on the blog! Sarah